Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Quilting Found Me!!!

Well, my crochet hooks are put away in their pouch and my yarn is up on a shelf in a bin after a couple of extraordinary samples of "nailing it." I trust you know what "nailing it" means, but if not, click here to find out. I was seriously doubting my DIY prowess after my family laughed at my "shrimp bunny" which was supposed to be an adorable rendition of a long-limbed bunny.

I quit for a while, but just for a little while. My creative flame was re-ignigted during preparations for my son's school's fundraiser. My friend was discussing a rag quilt project she was planning on doing with her son's class. It sounded so simple, fun and a way to get creative again. Also, I must admit that somewhere in the back of my mind I wanted a new sewing machine too.



To involve the kids in this quilt, my friend had the class outline the stars from old jeans. The back is red flannel and the squares are 12" x 12". Her fabric choice and arrangement are impressive! 

Fast forward a week when I took my vacuum cleaner in for service. Little did I know my favorite vacuum dealer is now expanding his sewing machine inventory. I walked in to drop my vacuum off and about 11 minutes later I walked out with a brand new sewing machine. Time to get started sewing!

So here is my first rag quilt, which was inspired by a tutorial on Lo, Ray & Me's blog. Could the baby's name be any longer? I mean, it was my first quilt and all ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment