Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Curly Glitter Scarf

I tackled my next scarf pattern. This one is a gift for a friend of mine who hit the big 4-0 and wears primarily gray and black. The wool I used is Vanna's Glamour, color platinum. It crocheted up very, very nicely and despite the fact that I am pretty much a beginner, the results were gift-worthy in my opinion.

I used a free pattern for a ruffle scarf from the Lion Brand site. The pattern is very simple and straight forward. However, I really wish I would have taken the advice in the first two reviews, which said the scarf comes out longer than the picture. I should have trusted, obeyed, and followed suit. Nope. I forged ahead and wound up with a scarf that would be suitable for the Statue of Liberty. Really. Shorten this one. Trust me.

It still came out nice. The silver threads in the yarn make this scarf an attractive and warm alternative to wearing a necklace. The ruffles are beautiful. I hope my friend likes it.

Next time I will shorten it and possibly make it a couple of rows narrower and then it might just look like the picture from the Lion Brand site. The ends of this one came down to mid-thigh!

Since it is my friend's 40th, I decided to crochet two scarves-one for each set of 20 years that she's lived. The other I crocheted was a boucle one-skein scarf that I posted about yesterday. It came out OK, although I kept thinking the boucle was a better choice for making a teddy bear than a scarf. It's super soft and extraordinarily lightweight. And that one came out too long as well. My friend's neck won't catch a chill this winter!





1 comment:

  1. When you were describing mom crocheting, I could picture her perfectly! I don't know how she did those Barbie doll clothes, so small! I love that we got back into crocheting, so fun and mostly sometimes relaxing. Between Mom and Aunt Kay we have a plethora of experience and patterns!

    ReplyDelete