Monday, October 8, 2012

Scarves!

I just started crocheting...again. My grandmother, mom, aunt and sisters all have crocheted. I crocheted as a young lady, which I forgot about until I started up again, then it all came flooding back. I only did simple things as a kid. My mom was the crocheting rock star and of course I didn't even know it back then. I realize it now as a none-of-your-business year-old woman. It's funny how memories of my mom, which I didn't even realize were in there, came flooding back as I started crocheting: her sitting in her chair, pulling up some slack on the yarn every now and then, counting to herself, squinting at times, talking out loud to the pattern and to herself, among other things.

I didn't mean to start crocheting. My intention was to learn how to knit. I've tried teaching myself before. I thought I would be successful at self-teaching until I actually attempted to knit a scarf. I bought the Stitch n' Bitch knitting books, eager to read them thoroughly and learn, but I admit I am an impatient individual. I scanned over them instead and bought a bunch of knitting needles and got to work without combing over the instructional section. My scarves turned out triangular. When I describe this to knitters, they look at me and give me a simple answer for my problems which didn't register in my brain.

Not ready to admit defeat and determined to knit, I went on a pilgrimage to Jimmy Beans Wool in Reno. I'd Googled knitting lessons/classes before I even moved to the area and learned about them. Then I attended a knitting group (empty handed, mind you, but determined to learn) in my neighborhood and all the people there had some connection to Jimmy Beans. Either they had worked there, were working there, taught there and without fail, had bought wool there. So I decided to check it out.

When I arrived, the creative juices were flowing. When this happens to me, I can not be stopped, probably much like other creative folks. You know how it is: impatience kicks in and you must get a project done. I had no time for the learning curve. I saw plenty of crocheting info around and decided I'd crochet instead. But I knew I was rusty, so I looked at their books and voila, found The Happy Hooker, which is by the same author, Debbie Stoller, of the knitting books I'd tried.

Miraculously, I worked through some of the swatches, learned how to read a pattern (just enough to get started) and then couldn't stand the wait any longer and found a simple scarf to try with my beautiful new Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted Merino Wool. I found Denise Cozzitorto's pattern in The Happy Hooker for a One-Skein Scarf. In the book the scarf is pictured hanging well past the model's hips, wrapped once around the neck.

I found that if you follow the pattern and make a chain of 203 it does not come out this long. I prefer a nice, long scarf and if you do too, then make the beginning chain about 20 stitches longer. It's a lot of fun to make. The pattern calls for a medium worsted weight (#4) but I also made one out of a bulkier weight (#5). Using the #5, I only crocheted two rows of the double chain instead of three, and it came out beautifully.

Two Row Acrylic, #5


Lorna's Lace Medium Worsted, #4



No comments:

Post a Comment